Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About

5. How would our analyses change if we knew more about the date, engravers, designers, producers, merchants and distribution of the images in question? What do the images reveal about class or gender? What can the style and rendering of an image disclose about the political ideology or psychological predisposition of the engraver, printer, or patron? How might one get at the intent of the image makers compared to the reading produced by contemporary viewers.

The Importance of Supporting Information Wayne Hanley, 6-6-03, 9:50 AM
the need for more knowledge Lynn Hunt,
6-23-03, 11:16 PM
on the need for more knowledge Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-3-03, 4:12 PM
A different perspective Warren Roberts, 7-9-03,
1:33 PM
reading the image Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03,
1:45 PM

Subject: A different perspective
Posted By: Warren Roberts
Date Posted: 7-9-03, 1:33 PM

I offer a few observations here that differ from those of Lynn, Barbara, and Wayne. Again, and I apologize for it, what I shall say comes out of my work on Prieur. I have commented on more than one occasion that he scripted the events he depicted; knowing what we do about him helps us to understand the spin he put on the events he illustrated. Some are more heavily scripted than others; reading his images I tried as best as I could to determine when his depictions were straightforward and when they carried his spin. Thus, knowing what I did about Prieur contributed to my reading of his images, and conversely, seeing whether he put his spin on his images, and how he did so, helped me to understand what he was about and how he responded to the Revolution.

As I scrutinized Prieur’s images I found myself paying attention to his style. In part, I did so because I was comparing Prieur’s images to those of other illustrators. His style was distinctive; he spoke, so to speak, in his own voice. Also, my work on Prieur is contained in a comparative study that also includes David. Here the differences were, to say the least, even more striking. Stylistic differences between Prieur and David were more pronounced, far more, than those that separated Prieur from other illustrators. As I thought about Prieur’s style, I compared it not only to that of other illustrators but to David and other artists. Style became integral to Prieur’s visual record of the Revolution. As I have already put it, he spoke in his own voice, much as journalists spoke in their distinctive voices. To quote myself (I apologize):“Among the many illustrators who depicted the events of the Revolution, it is Prieur whose own responses come through most vividly. It is useful to think of him as a rhetorician whose language is his art, and whose images are projections of his own attitudes, feelings, and responses to the great events of the Revolution. A good part of the interest in Prieur’s tableaus lies in their partisanship, much as the same can be said of the journalism of a Marat or an Hébert, to mention but two writers who come to mind while trying to locate approximate counterparts to Prieur. The importance to the historian of Marat and Hébert is not just what they said but how they said it, and the same may be said of Prieur.”

One final comment: It seems to me that study of images of the Revolution would benefit from the inclusion of artists. Illustrators occupied a different rung within the artistic hierarchy than paintersand sculptors. Artists, particularly those trained in the Academy, employed a different style than illustrators; they saw the world from an elevated perspective. This came through in their paintings of the Revolution. One example that brings this out is David’s “Tennis Court Oath,” which differs strikingly from Prieur’s image of that event, as well as those of other illustrators who depicted it. A final example: portraits and drawings of revolutionary leaders tell us something that doesn’t come through in texts. Such is the case with Boilly’s portrait of Robespierre, or Hubert Robert’s drawing, “Camille Desmoulins in Prison.” These images, rendered by skilled artists, show us how removed revolutionary leaders were from the people. We know this, but the images bring out their politeness, a system of manners, that helped define them, their place in the Revolution, and the gulf between them and sans-culottes that was never closed.

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home