Essays
Essays
Images
Images
Discussion
Discussion
About
About

6. a) If we take these two prints as our point of departure, what difference does it make that we know the “author” of one print and not the other? (given that “authorship” is a somewhat vexed notion in regard to printmaking) b) Can we say that these prints represent the same ideas/ideals/notions/ presumptions about crowd violence? How would we unpack the differences in representation (the choice of perspective, for instance—the one telescoped, the other wide angle)? Are these differences the result of differences in the purpose of the prints (Prieur’s is part of a series, for instance). c) In regard to Wayne’s interests, does this kind of event ever appear on a medal or is the level of violence somehow incompatible with that kind of representation (in metal as opposed to on paper, more sculptural than pictorial, etc.) d) Is gender more of an issue when the action is viewed up close?

authorship and politics Warren Roberts, 7-3-03, 4:46 PM
knowing the author Jack Censer, 7-3-03, 8:50 PM
  RE: knowing the author Vivian Cameron, 7-6-03, 9:05 PM
RE: knowing the author Barbara Day-Hickman, 7-9-03, 4:07 PM
RE: knowing the author Jack Censer, 7-26-03, 10:03 PM
on gender, class, and violence Joan B. Landes,
7-16-03, 2:50 PM
RE: on gender, class, and violence Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03, 3:22 PM

RE: on gender, class, and violence Vivian Cameron, 7-26-03, 4:27 PM

Date? Joan B. Landes, 7-16-03, 2:53 PM

Subject: RE: knowing the author
Posted By: Vivian Cameron
Date Posted: 7-6-03, 9:05 PM
While I agree with Jack’s statement in part, I also think that knowing more about the author would be helpful. We are fortunate to be familiar with Prieur’s political stance because it helps us understand why he chose certain incidents to illustrate. But I find it more frustrating to deal with our anonymous author’s work because we don’t know anything about the person who created it. How would it help? It certainly would help us know whether the image is meant to be critical, ironic, etc. As I’ve looked at the work, I realize that I’m not certain what the position of the image-maker was. As I said in my paper, this is someone who had some knowledge of artistic conventionsthere are allusions to the stoning of St. Stephen, etc. In fact, that might mean that he wants the viewer to be sympathetic to Foulon. What do other people think?

Extended Discussion

Imaging the French Revolution Home